“Learning to speak eloquently has now become a moral issue for schools….Talk is an undervalued area of literacy.”
Peter Hyman, Head teacher, School 21, Newham
“Today was brilliant! I didn’t know that I would be able to stand up and speak about something that I really cared about to people in my class. People that I didn’t think would - listened.”
Sarah, Essex school student.
“Whether it is through developing public speaking or learning the skills of debating, Fiona's ability to motivate children in achieving their potential is inspirational. The atmosphere in the training room is always charged with such an energy and excitement, with children reaching new levels of confidence in being able to stand up and deliver their own speeches in front of an audience.”
L M, Enfield Partnership for Excellence.
Courses for young people
- Locus offers a variety of 2 hour, ½ day and full day courses for young people. These courses cover public speaking, presentation, discussion sessions and interviews. Courses can be tailor-made for your students’ particular requirements. Find out more here
- In addition Words Aloud (owned by Fiona Whytehead and Sophie Peach) offers a course specially aimed at pupils aged from 8 – 13. To see more details about these courses and book please take the hyper link to www.Words-Aloud.co.uk
- Fiona Whytehead also works as an associate of Speakers Trust – a charity working extensively in the education sector and as part of the Jack Petchey Speak out Challenge. You can book a Speakerstrust Speak Up, Speak Out training day by contacting Locus. The trainer could be Fiona or one of many extremely skilled and experienced trainers who also work for Speakers Trust.
- For 7 years Locus has run speaking skills programmes and competitions in the London borough of Enfield, leading to the Mayor’s Awards and is happy to talk to you about any specific skill areas you would like covered. For example we have trained students in the art of business presentations for enterprise skills’ awards and run debating and public speaking competitions for the Borough’s Mayor’s Awards.
“It was really inspirational and helped me face my fear.”
Helen, 15, London School student
“I think today’s training was very interesting and helpful. It built up my confidence a lot and the trainer was awesome.”
Faiza, 15, London school student
“Very exciting and is actually life-changing.”
Anna 14 London school student
Courses for teachers
Locus can run twilight or inset day courses for teachers either for their own professional development in public speaking or in supporting pupils and students to develop their voice.
- Effective use of voice in the classroom for the new and trainee teacher
- Use of voice in the classroom to deal with conflict
- How to support pupils to develop their confidence at public speaking
- How to give great presentations in the staff room, to parents, management teams and other audiences.
How it works
We will come to your school to deliver the training.
We can arrange a time that fits in with your school calendar requirements. The training sessions are normally ether ½ day for full day in length
The training will be delivered by Fiona Whytehead or another highly experienced trainer.
Cost: this will depend on the package you purchase, sometimes there are part-sponsored rates available particularly if you are booking a training as part of the Jack Petchey Speak Out challenge. Please contact Locus on [email protected] or call 07956118006 to arrange a time for a proper consultation about your training requirements.